Thursday, July 28, 2011

Recent Gaming Addictions

Well… I recently started playing games in the Phoenix Wright Ace Attorney series. It’s a weird crime solving visual novel kind of game where you basically solve crime cases that always involve situations that are more than meets the eye. The games generally involve finding yourself so far up the creek without the paddle that the situation always seem hopelessly lost as you try and work your way out of a case and try to turn it around and find the true criminals. For some reason, I can’t get enough of these…. seemingly tragic, hopeless scenarios that get turned on its head. I dunno if I have mentioned in the pass about my pure hatred I have for romantic movies… anything that has a fairy tale love story I tend to utterly despise…. But… I find myself finding these set of games…. likeable… The main focus of the game is of course, not a love story but a story about the life of a defence lawyer. Somewhere in the background, the tragic love story of the lawyer is woven into the fabric of the story, but as the nature of the game goes of course, the tragedy gets turned on its head. Somehow, I think I only find this story more appealing due to the amount of problems and complications that arise and interfere… Perhaps it is because it’s a story, albeit a fantastically intricate tale, that reflects reality ever so slightly. It reflects the imperfections of any meeting, of how more often than not, things cannot be ideal and comfortable. Fairy tale knight in shining armour type romance just makes me cringe violently to be honest… But somehow… this story I found quite moving… the story kind of ends with the cliffhanger… the girl was in prison for being an accomplice in a murder case in which the victim had murderous intent to kill an innocent girl, and the lawyer was on visitations. But that was where it got left at… So I suppose because of the less than ideal circumstances, I have this nagging wish that the game producers continue to unfold this story arc. Alas, I don’t think that’s happening… It was only a visit with some implied remnant feelings… but nothing explicitly stated the nature of their relationship and is all left to the speculation of the player. So I guess I still find the ending slightly unsatisfactory… but hey… I don’t normally like romantic stories so this is a first in itself I guess…

No comments:

Post a Comment