Monday, March 16, 2009

Shaolin Long Fist

Today, I started learning shaolin long fist kung fu. I reckon I picked up the basics pretty quickly since I did karate like... 5 years ago... but at least I still remembered all the basic stuff from karate haha. It shall be very interesting, hopefully I don't get too many bruises though :P Makes you think quick though, which is good :P An architect rarely has to think quick, they can take all day if they like. But martial artist only get a fraction of the second from seeing a punch and getting hit by the punch to decide what to do to it, so we think quick :P And I learn something practical, it grants me the ability to defend and protect which makes me feel... secure... to a point. At least I know that I will gain the ability to protect something precious and I won't die as easy trying :P although I don't intend to throw myself at life threatening situations anytime soon, at least I know I will be able to should the case call for it (and I hope it never does).

Don't get me wrong, I'm not a violent person. I just like to be able to successfully defend something, and chose a martial art form that best suits my character :P

2 comments:

  1. interesting but having the knowledge and some practical training is not the same as getting into a real fight

    ReplyDelete
  2. well thats what sparring is for... simulation of the real thing... knowing martial arts does not give you the right to start fights on the streets and beat the crap out of people for the sake of your "education"... great power carries great responsibilities... and you must not abuse your power, which in this case is to bash the daylight out of a person.

    If you want to push your "education" along, then once you know enough, go join a full contact dojo... or go do MMA tournaments... then you'll be able to challenge your fighting abilities in a controlled environment... though expect to have the crap beat outta you

    ReplyDelete