Tuesday, February 10, 2009

Blasted Ants...

Now I dunno bout you, but as it stands it seems our house is under constant siege by hordes of ants of all kinds. I personally rather dislike ants due to bad personal encounters with them. While we noticed that ants were encroaching onto the kitchen bench where we were eating dinner, I didn't really expect the ants to go into our food while we were eating it... But that was just the side note.

I realise that ants are amongst the dumbest animals of creation. Seeing how they are willing to walk straight into their own deaths without reason or logic. Now ants drowning in honey... yeah that's reasonable... it's a food source right? But ants drowning themselves in a kettle filled with cold water? thats just stupid... I mean, animals that can't swim would generally stay clear of water or at least dislike water... But ants just wade straight into it...

The reason I don't like ants though, is because they are small and they bite. Being small they can get into places unnoticed, which is an issue. I remember I was wearing long trousers at school that day, leaning against a tree when I realised that there was a large number of green ants on the tree. I got most of them off me, but 1 had already got into my trousers, and proceeded to bite me 11 times as it journeys up my thigh... But I got rid of it somehow before it got too close although the last bite was about 1.5 inches away from the top of my leg.

O... and another bad experience with ants was at a year 8 camp... we had to go camping without tents for a night... and used tarps or whatever they were called to make our tent... That night it absolutely poured on us ie. rain, and my friends convieniently had chosen a site between 2 trees to set up our tarps... being tarps you have no isolation from the outside elements. And luck would have it, our site was right on top of a red ant nest. so through the whole night, we had massive ants of about 2cm+ lengths crawling through our tarp tent. I was the only person who managed to get any sleep at all lol... and I was lucky only to get 2 bites... But at about 3-4am in the morning my friends wake me up to tell me that they are gonna move the tarps away from the ants... Which by now was far too late lol... And got about another 2.5 hours sleep before we had to wake up lol... Not the best camp I've been on anyways haha...

but yeah... Ants are annoying to say the least...

3 comments:

  1. Ants don't think, they just take orders from the queen ant...

    ReplyDelete
  2. haha... I hardly think they take orders from the queen ant... Because that would mean that they are much smarter than they appear as they would be able to 1. recognise commands and 2. Override basic intelligence with the command. They are most likely just a mass of very like-minded individuals.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Have you done any scientific research before making such claims?! Maybe you haven't watched A Bug's Life yet. Haha, I'm kidding about the second one.
    Every animal has its place and worth on earth, as annoying as mosquitoes may seem, and disgusting that cockroaches are...

    ReplyDelete