Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Drawing lines, Helping Hands and Showing Off

I like helping people do things (with a few exceptions), and I like serving a cause. When I start doing something I like doing or want to do and do well with, I just keep going and going and going. But sometimes, after I say "I'll do it!" or "I know what to do!" and spontaneously volunteer to do something. I feel a sense of... withdrawal... like sub-consciously I think that other people see me as a show off when I'm simply trying to help and putting in effort. These kinds of thoughts occur to me even at church. I know that boasting is bad and that service done without being "seen" (as in kinda behind to scenes-ish) is good. Service done to be seen by men to achieve the recognition of men is bad. But, when I jump the gun and overkill on a job, big or small, I just get a feeling that maybe I shouldn't be diving head first into stuff, and appear "showy". But at the same time, if everyone thought like that and held back, waiting for someone else to do it, who's gonna do it? It feels to me like one of those situations with the little angel and devil on your shoulder, debating over the matter. But problem is, which side's the devil and which side's the angel? Am I being too "showy" or appear as that and should just hold back and let other people do those jobs, even if it is simply stacking away chairs after service? Or should I be keeping up my efforts and keep doing these jobs regardless of the reactions that I might be percieving from people? When I say "I can do that" or "I know how to do that" or "I know a way of doing that easier", afterwards sometimes I feel like I'm boasting, kinda full of myself. And while it would be true and I would know how to do the job, I feel as if I should just hold back and let them do it for a while before I join in "camoflagued" by the crowd to avoid drawing attention to my efforts. But then again, unless your all the same ie. clones, someone is gonna stand out more than others, and someone has got to draw attention for someone else to work without drawing attention. Someone has got to be a leader for someone else to be a follower. But if everyone held back and wait to follow, then who's gonna lead? If everyone thought "I should let someone else do the leading" then the end result would be that there is no leader to follow. But I dunno... It's a bit of a dilemma for me at the moment.

While I admit I do have trouble controlling my pride at times which does make me boast about things whether it's a strength or a weakness/past weakness, boasting occurs in hindsight. I don't perform a task for the fact that I could boast about it afterwards, I do it genuinely, but sometimes I guess afterwards I tell people about it and end up boasting about the things that I did.

1 comment:

  1. I reckon its all about where your heart is.... self motivated or God-motivated

    ReplyDelete