Tuesday, December 9, 2008

Yay! Pay Rise!

My paycheck today indicated that I had just recieved a pay rise :D rather than the old $18/hr, my new pay rate was $20.95 :D now freezing my ass off in the pool is finally worth it :P

More money is always nice, but I guess it comes with greater responsibilities too. Money is empowering, with money you have power and command. But power corrupts, therefore money can corrupt too, if your inclined to being "corrupt" that is. With money I guess you have the power to make a difference. Or you can be selfish, and hoard it to yourself and indulge in it. Which brought up the thought of tithing...

Nothing happens without God's permission. Even the fact that we are in a position to recieve money from work, has occurred because it has been allowed to happen. As christians we are meant to tithe, that is setting aside a percentage of our earnings (which is recieved from God) to further His kingdom and to assist your home church. I believe the percentage was something like 10% or something or rather. If we are all meant to do that then why do churches have funding issues? I remember a guest pastor coming into our uni fellowship and talked to us about tithing, apparently that guy had like a seperate bank account set aside just for that purpose. Now I know for sure that I haven't gone to that extent yet, although I simply stick approx 10% of that week's earning into an offering box instead. But since fellowship isn't always on, I guess in total of a year's earning, I come short of 10%... way short actually. Anyways, back to the thing about church funding. If everyone in the church, physios, doctors, engineers, etc and all, all placed a full 10% of their earnings into building our church and funding activities and fellowships and stuff, I'm pretty darn sure that our churches would be able to do so much more, and taking up a job of a pastor would not be such a financial uncertainty for people who might be interested as churches would be more than able to pay for their salaries. Church events could be done extremely well and the impact that could be made would be amazing. The church would be able to do community service as well as they have the money and supplies to do it. Sponsoring missionaries and other international aid programs would also be well within the reach of the church too.

Just random thoughts that occurred to me. But hey...

1 comment:

  1. Money... such a big issue all the time...

    Kudos on 3 dollar pay rise though!

    ReplyDelete