Friday, November 7, 2008

Laziness

Man... although I've been at the pool 3 times a week almost every week this year to teach, I've only trained twice this year... All through high school I would train like 1-3 times a week and would be able to swim a 2-2.4km session with relative ease... Today I thought I'd join my old swimming buddies again for the second half of their hour long session after my last class which started at the same time (which goes for half an hour)... and by then there was only 500m left of their session as they swam the other 1.5km in the first half hour or something... and I was already buggered lol...

It is quite amazing how the body takes so long to train up... but as soon as you stop using it, it will degenerate so quickly to a weaker state. Also fitness in one medium doesn't seem to transfer over to other medium either, if you are a hardcore gymnast, you jump in a pool and you will be crap even if you know how to swim. I run alot, and although I don't have many opportunities to climb stuff, I do it when ever the opportunity arises, so I guess I should be pretty fit... But doing that half km of decent speed swimming, now I actually feel tired lol...

I reckon if I keep jumping in for the second half of their session every week I'll be back up there in a few weeks though...

2 comments:

  1. Please don't make me feel bad... If YOU're 'unfit' and your body has 'degenerated', I don't know how soon I am going to die of unfitness...

    ReplyDelete
  2. well the body apparently starts degenerating in 3 days from the lack of use... soooo... my year of no swimming training meant that my swimming skills went down the drain lol...

    ReplyDelete